Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Eternity

Eternal life? What exactly is eternity? Eternity is a difficult concept to wrap our minds around. For some religions eternal life is a cyclic process of being born again and again into the same world with the same problem of sin, death and dying. I know for myself the promise of coming back to this world filled with loss and pain sprinkled with good is not a comfort for me. The concept of eternity is written in the very DNA of mankind…God did not create us to die but to live forever so we are all longing for eternity. But how long is eternity? It is said, “If each grain of sand on every beach in the whole world represented 1 million years, you would not have even put a dent in eternity.” Eternity is a difficult concept for our finite minds to comprehend. Yet, it is eternity or eternal life that God offers us all.

This ceaseless life that our eternal God offers us is not something we can ever begin to comprehend here on this earth (1 Corinthians 2:9). Revelation 21:4 tells us in this new endless life God will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." We will have joy and peace forever! I don’t know about you but I am growing very weary with all the suffering and disease my friends, family and society is experiences. However, I am comforted to know, that I know the one who holds the future in his hands. I get excited that I know the end of the story and that I have read the back of the book! That death will be swallowed up and destroyed (Isaiah 25:8)

I know that I know, that I know! And this is how you can know too. This is how you can claim eternal life as your future:

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. John 17:3

Eternal life requires a personal relationship with God in Jesus Christ. It requires spending time with our Lord, learning and leaning on His everlasting arms. Trusting Him; believing on Him (not just in Him – James 2:19) Getting to know Him (not just of Him). Eternal life is simplistic:

Accept Him

Believe on Him,

Trust on Him

Know Him



Prayer song: Jesus let us come to know you, let us see you face to face!