Saturday, March 14, 2009

HOW YOU DOING?



As I walk through another normal day, the people I run into smile and greet me warmly. They all ask the same question and I respond with the same answer. Even strangers throughout the day mumble the question not really wanting to know - but ask out of mechanical politeness. These four words really don't mean anything in our society today or at the most it means you have just entered my social space and I am obligated to say something. So out of the mouths of many comes, "How are you doing?"
Very seldom do we really want to know the answer and very seldom does anyone ever tell you the truth. The response is usually "Fine, thank you" and you?' Then we move on with our day. I started to think about this mechanical response, almost a knee jerk reaction or interaction and realized that we are not all right. We are all hurting deep down inside and we (me included) are too busy, too disconnected, too occupied with "US" or "ME" that we cautiously hope others won't answer the question honestly. I don't have the time, energy or interest in really knowing is the message we send each other.
Then I decided to ask this question to God. When I asked God, “How are you?” He answered honestly. “Most people don’t even take time to think about me, let alone ask such a question.” “Those who think of me have various skewed opinions on how I am doing.” Some see me in heaven far removed surrounded by lovely clouds and singing angels too busy to listen to their problems. Some see me angry and causing devastation on this fallen race throwing lightening bolts of disgust. Some see me as unattainable, out of reach, disconnected, some sadly don’t see me at all – I will tell you the truth. Here is “how I am doing.”
I cried today, over the hundreds of funerals. I wept as a watched thousands fall victim to the lures of drugs and alcohol. I sobbed at the millions of children being raped, neglected and abused. I feel the pain of the families ravaged by divorce and loss. I lament because so much of this sadness is a result of the gift of free will and choice. (1) My heart is crushed for every where I look my children are so blinded from the truth of my love. (2) I whisper I love you to every living creature on the earth but they can’t hear me. (3)
However, I also smiled today when thousands of beautiful babies were born, when hundreds received the recognition they prayed about in response to their hard work and perseverance. But the true highlight? I partied in heaven over just the one who gave his life to me. I sang over the one who will be joining me someday in her new heavenly home. I cried tears of joy and threw my arms around her as I welcomed her into my family.
So you ask “How am I?” It is tough waiting for the time to come and rescue my children (4), to wait to end this battle between myself and the enemy of every soul. I long to be vindicated for the actions or non action I have been accused of. But I must wait until everyone has a chance to choose who they will serve. I must wait until all hearts have made their final decision (5). I wait patiently and lovingly. Meanwhile, I am doing just fine.” I have a heart divided with sadness and happiness and am encouraged to know that one day it will be only filled with HAPPINESS (6). So I am doing fine thank you, “how are you doing?”
(1) Joshua 24:15
(2) 2 Corinthians 4:4
(3) Jeremiah 31:3
(4) 2 Thessalonians 4:16
(5) II Peter 3:19
(6) Revelations 21:4

No comments:

Post a Comment