Saturday, March 14, 2009

Personal Pondering on Motherhood - Part 1

The Toughest Job in my Life!
Personal Pondering on Motherhood - Part 1


I have done and been a lot of things in my life. I have worked as a courier, counselor, teacher, professor, firefighter, martial arts instructor, personal trainer, missionary and more. I have sweat buckets and pulled muscles digging in the blazing sun of South America. I have chocked on clouds of ominous thick smoke as I helped keep the violent flames from consuming everything in its path (including me). Yet, the hardest thing I have ever done, the most difficult task I have endured in this life time, the most mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally challenging job I have ever done….is being a Mother!


Erma Bombeck likens motherhood to that of stringing beads. We go about our daily routine, stringing one brightly colored wooden bead after another, feeling pretty good about ourselves and what we have gotten done. We assume we are accomplishing so much. But the illusion of productivity is shattered when, at the end of the day, we look down at our string of beads only to discover that there is no knot. The once-stung beads are now scattered all over the place, and we have to start over!


The job of mothering never ends! When do moms get to finish anything? We can't finish a meal without getting up and running to the stove or refrigerator. We rarely get to finish a thought before somebody needs something and we have lost our concentration. Our nights are interrupted by cries to be fed, or a wet bed, or a sore throat. Twenty-four-seven, three hundred sixty-five days a year for eighteen plus year's mother's are on call. The job of mothering is never a completed assignment even after our children are grown.


Since our work is constantly unfinished or coming undone, it is the most exhausting job in the world with implications that go beyond the day to day into eternity.
Yes, it is easy to see that mothering is the hardest, most important job in the world. Nothing can compare to the demands, the responsibilities, the disappointments and the rewards of motherhood. I want to remind you to never forget your worth as a mother ! Or if you are not a mother…Your mother's worth! It is the hardest job on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment