Saturday, March 14, 2009

What to Wear Part I



Yesterday I spent the day in my overstuffed walk in closet that was bulging with all kinds of possessions that where mindless tossed or hurriedly shoved inside because company was coming or I was just being plain lazy. I pushed clothes into the oversized black garbage bags that were older than my kids and have been out of style and back in style and out again. My skinny jeans, my semi-skinny jeans, my after baby jeans even my favorite maternity jeans. Clothes that represented the past and memories that I did not want to let go. However, today I was letting go.
Since it is nice in quite in the closet my mind started to ponder on style (which I do not claim to have any of) and fashion. I began to wonder. … What should a woman of God where? What type of a wardrobe should a Christian wear? There is a lot of controversy on this subject…I mean a lot!
I found that there is a special wardrobe designed just for Christians. Yes, you head me right, Christians need to wear a specialized wardrobe (under the armor of God)-one that sets us apart from others and identifies us as people who serve Jesus Christ. I don't mean a uniform, or some strict dress code. The wardrobe I am talking about is found in Colossians 3: 12-14:
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.


These are the special garments intended by God for each of us to wear, and we have a unique opportunity to be lights in this darkening world by learning how to wear these beautiful clothes. I am going to take my time to look at each part of our wardrobe and learn how to dress my inner self with these garments that I have been commanded to put on. Join me as I journey through the wardrobe closet of God and learn how and what to where to shine in this darkening world.
Stay tuned: the first piece of clothing will be compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment